Who we are
Engine Transformation (ET) creates, accelerates, designs, and builds the future for our clients. We combine the creativity of an agency with the robustness of a consultancy and the technical agility of a start-up. Built on Research. Driven by Design. Fuelled by Data. Powered by Technology.
We Transform organisations through a world class research, design, data and technology culture, delivering better digital and multichannel experiences. We combine depth of expertise with a breadth of experience, working across both public and private sector to deliver tangible outcomes in partnership with our clients, built on a philosophy of transparency, collaboration and agility.
Our services include strategy & innovation, market & customer research, change & delivery, service design, data driven transformation and solutions, technology strategy and data and software engineering
We are proud to work for clients as diverse as, Avon, Toyota, Honda, Hammersons, Ministry of Justice, Department for Education, HMRC, GDS and the Home Office. We have offices in London, Manchester, Sydney & Melbourne
We are a part of the Engine Group’s UK operations and form one of three business pillars, alongside our colleagues in Creative (advertising and marketing) and Communications (PR). In total, Engine UK has over 800 staff in our London and Manchester offices.
Find out more at: https://transformation.enginegroup.com/
The role – Consultant User Researcher
Joining our experienced and passionate Research & Service Design team you will work across variety of projects in both the public and private sector. You will have worked in a UX Research role and be driven to get your teeth into fascinating design challenges.
You should comfortable taking on user research tasks, through to visually articulating synthesised findings and sketching future service maps and journeys. If from more of a UX background you should feel at home with Sketch or Illustrator and quickly mocking up a series of wireframes to help conceptualise, prototype and user test a new service design.
No matter what background you’re joining us with you’ll have methods, tools and experiences to work across the 3 phases of our service design model: Discover, Design & Deliver.
You should feel comfortable leading aspects of design thinking, helping the wider team members (including business analysts, content designers, web developers and delivery managers) contribute their insights and perspectives to help curate a holistic design response to any given task or design challenge.
We’re looking for researchers who have a keenness to nurture or develop specialisms in their practice whether it be wireframing, sketching user flows, user research, interaction design, information architecture design, usability design or facilitating collaborative design. And maybe there’s something special that you could offer us: we’d love you to be an amazing freehand illustrator, video story-teller or motion graphic designer.
You will have a passion about working within an Agile environment which will be led by individuals from the business and in partnership with our clients.
You care passionately about representing the users you design for. You want to design not just the best thing but the right thing for the whole audience. You’ll have an instinct for balancing clients’ needs with users’ needs, and you’ll be able to work with a diverse group of disciplines and perspectives.
- Role requirements:
- Expertise and deep knowledge of service design, user research or UX tools and methodologies
- Demonstrable experience in user research techniques and analysis, e.g. interviews, contextual inquiry, c analysis and mappingustomer journey
- Articulating the strategic context of clients and reconciling user needs with strategic priorities
- Conceptualisation and proposition development supported by research
- Impact design and measurement
- Rich understanding of trends that demonstrate innovative and future facing applications of digital platforms and technologies to solve complex problems
- Stakeholder engagement
- Confident in presenting and explaining user needs to clients who may be unfamiliar with user-centred design
- Agile methodology & practice
- Developing new service propositions for clients
- 3 + years’ experience of applying service and user experience design within public sector and/or commercial settings:
- We like people who are:
- Enthusiastic about what they do, and a delight to work with
- Motivated and full of ideas
- Data and technology fanatics, who can show an interest in and understanding of recent trends and the benefits they could bring
- Passionate about working within data, digital and technology and with the drive and determination to continually improve
- Able to build successful relationships to establish credibility
- Our culture is built on:
- Being one team; we work for and with each other with respect and positive intent; when the going is tough, we support not blame each other
- We aim high and are ambitious; we bring the energy and positivity
- We are curious and embrace new ideas and different perspectives, generous with our time and with each other
- We are not afraid to fail, we learn from our failures, turning them into our future successes
- We deliver quality in everything we do; we are open and honest with each other and our clients
- Our benefits include:
- Holiday entitlement, 28 days with the option to buy/sell up to 5 days
- Day off (on or in the week of) your birthday
- Pension eligibility, up to 5% matched contributions
- Healthcare eligibility, private healthcare with Vitality, option to buy discounted family cover
- Cycle to work scheme
- Gym discounts
- Regular social events/activities
- Life Insurance
At ENGINE we believe in a culture of inclusivity, we celebrate difference and believe that diversity makes our business more relevant, our work more meaningful and our people more empowered. We’re committed to equality of opportunity for all and we're open to applications from all ethnicities, orientations, beliefs, gender identities + those with neurodiverse traits and disabilities.
If this sounds like you please get in touch to discuss in more detail.