Engine MHP Mischief is a strategic communications agency built for the networked age, applying the new rules of influence to solve complex problems.
With more than 200 staff, we provide deep expertise in consumer, financial, corporate, health and public affairs – reflected in the fact that 200 organisations put their trust in MHP Mischief, including AstraZeneca, JD, beIN Media Group, Coca-Cola, NHS, Klarna, Lego, Just Eat, Shaftesbury, Kimberly-Clark, Nationwide, Roche, and GoDaddy.
Strategy at MHP
At MHP we are fast-moving and ambitious, and our strategy function reflects that. Currently a team of one, we are seeking to double in size in 2022, bringing in an Associate Director to support across the agency and act as the number two in a growing team.
Partnering with over 200 communications professionals on big brands and start-ups, across public affairs, corporate communications and creative strategy, a strategist’s life at MHP is fast-paced, dynamic and never boring. Strategy at MHP sits at the intersection of corporate (reputation & public affairs), creative and brand strategy. Bringing the best of these three disciplines together, we take an approach that is fresh, flexible and insight-driven to bring clients new ways of thinking about their work.
We work with our colleagues in Mischief to deliver integrated strategies and we are the team responsible for translating the behavioural science research from our partners at INFLUENCE AT WORK into communications insights.
Our second strategist hire will have three important roles to play, in partnership with Kate Gomes, Head of Strategy.
- Leading new business – strategy works across the agency so this will mean getting to grips with the problem (or the problem behind the problem) and driving the solution on issues from financial services to brand, health to capital markets.
- Partnering with account teams – participating in annual planning and responding to new briefs for existing clients from right across the agency, running client workshops to explore ideas or develop positioning
- Developing our best-in-class strategy function – driving our Networked Age research programme, working closely with our behavioural science partners Influence at Work, developing processes, selecting tools and supporting recruitment. MHP is rightly proud of its IP and Strategy sits at the very heart of that.
The dream candidate
- Is energetic and inspiring – believes in the power of strategy to make powerful communications
- A ‘sponge’ who loves culture, data, charts and chats and uses them all as a jumping off point for new thinking
- Knows the value in explaining why decisions have been made, and knows there is no such thing as the right strategy
- Is an expert at taking complex ideas and jargon and making it accessible, memorable, and interesting
- A persuasive presenter with outstanding oral, written, and presentation skills, comfortable in talking to, and counselling, clients
- Enjoys new challenges and thrives in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Is independent and strong-willed, but knows how and when to flex
- Wants to learn, grow and play a central role in building something different, new and industry leading
- Demonstrated experience in brand, creative and corporate strategy
- Has worked in at least two of our verticals: corporate, financial services, capital markets, public affairs and health
- Experienced in Purpose, Vision and Narrative development
- Strong research skills, and can turn that research into succinct insights
- Using research tools (audience, trends, media analytics etc.) and developing bespoke quant and qual research (e.g., surveys)
- Managing research partners
- Creative brief development and working with Creatives to develop campaigns based on strategy and insight
Additional desirable experience (but not necessary)
- Experience with behavioural science
- Channel strategy development experience
What we offer:
You can expect a great working environment and superb benefits to match, including: 28 days holiday, private medical, gym discounts, pension, season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme and much more!
Our unique structure and culture has meant we’ve featured in The Sunday Times’ Best Company To Work For Top 100 list eight years in a row too.
We believe in a culture of inclusivity, we celebrate difference and believe that diversity makes our business more relevant, our work more meaningful and our people more empowered. We’re committed to equality of opportunity for all and we're open to applications from all ethnicities, orientations, beliefs, gender identities + those with neurodiverse traits.
Reporting into the Head of Strategy, you will actively help shape and inform the future development of Strategy and the role it plays within the agency.
About MHP + Mischief
MHP + Mischief is a unique combination of two market-leading brands. Together, we are greater than the sum of our parts.
We are a collection of 200 communications specialists, blending behavioural science, industry expertise, influencer strategy, creativity and
MHP helps clients navigate the volatile, activist and tribal landscape we call The Networked Age. Mischief helps brands earn attention by
playing with the norm and working at the speed of life.
Our specialist areas include consumer comms, corporate reputation, brand strategy, crisis and issues management, capital markets, public
affairs, health and financial services.
We represent some of the most-loved, most-trusted and most intensely scrutinised brands in the country, including Asda, AstraZeneca,
Coca Cola, JD Sports, Nationwide, The Restaurant Group, Revolut, RSPCA, TUI, and Vodafone.
We are PR Moment Agency of the Year and two of the most-awarded teams in the industry. Our work for the NHS is PR Week’s “Campaign
of the Decade” and we are two-time winners of The Creative Shootout.