Engine Transformation (ET) creates, accelerates, designs, and builds the future for our clients. We combine the creativity of an agency with the robustness of a consultancy and the technical agility of a start-up. Built on Research. Driven by Design. Fuelled by Data. Powered by Technology.
We Transform organisations through a world class research, design, data, and technology culture, delivering better digital and multichannel experiences. We combine depth of expertise with a breadth of experience, working across both public and private sector to deliver tangible outcomes in partnership with our clients, built on a philosophy of transparency, collaboration, and agility.
Our expertise in technology innovation, business strategy and service design has made us a leader in digital transformation in the UK. From writing the Martha Lane Fox report for the UK government, which launched the Government Digital Service, to helping Argos move from pen and paper to become the largest multichannel retailer in the UK, we have been behind some of the most radical digital programmes in the UK.
Our Research and Design team is recognised internationally for its design thinking, winning the global Service Design Network ad BIMA 10 Awards in 2021, alongside the Good Design Australia Award in 2019.
Our services include:
- Market research
- Human centred design
- Strategy & innovation
- Change & delivery
- Data analytics
- Data and software engineering
- Technology consultancy & strategy
We are proud to work for clients as diverse as Avon, Anglian Water, Belron, Cabinet Office, Department for Education, Sky, Santander, Holland & Barrett, Lexus, Ministry of Justice, Department for International Trade, Defra, and Home Office. We have offices in London and Manchester.
We are a part of the Engine Group’s UK operations and form one of three business pillars, alongside our colleagues in Creative (advertising and marketing) and Communications (PR). In total, Engine UK has over 800 staff in our London and Manchester offices.
Find out more at: https://transformation.enginegroup.com/
Senior User Researcher
The Senior User Researcher will plan, design, and conduct research to support the design and development delivery team. We will expect you to develop insight into user and stakeholder needs, sharing with the wider product team to underpin decision making and drive direction of the product across Service Design, UX and development
You will act as the voice of the user for the product team, representing user needs throughout all project phases and will lead behavioural in-context research events; analyse, synthesise, and organise research data into meaningful themes, categories, and visually compelling frameworks and behavioural models.
As the Senior User Researcher, you will lead usability testing from developing recruitment briefs and/or recruiting participants. You will also design and develop, script, and analyse ad-hoc qualitative/quantitative surveys. You will be expected to gather insight at the discovery stages of a product to help prove the concept and validate the proposition.
You will ensure research findings are relayed quickly to teams, so user needs are well understood - while communicating with teams in an engaging way to build empathy and drive action. Furthermore, you will be able to apply their knowledge in human factors, ethnography, and the user-centred design process in an iterative development environment
- Key Skills/Experiences:
- At least 5 years’ experience working in service design projects and leading multi-discipline teams to deliver projects
- Experienced in using a variety of user research methodologies including:
- “Guerrilla research”
- Focus groups
- 1-2-1 interviews
- Group/Lab facilitation
- Experience in recruitment of target users, sampling, drafting screeners
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including data and thematic analysis
- Ability to quickly develop recommendations based on evidence
- Confident in presenting explaining user needs to clients who may be unfamiliar with human-centred design
- Comfortable working with data, from gathering and analysis through to design and presentation
- Ability to quickly sketch out requirements
- Ability to step back and take a helicopter view of the requirements
- Identify opportunities to create business value and improve the user experience, based on user research; organise opportunities into visually compelling matrices/maps
- Proven experience of working in an agile development environment with User Experience teams, designers, and developers to create new digital products and services
- Experience of user segmentation and/or developing design personas/user profiles
- Experience of task and role mapping
- Experience across web content, tools, and transactional services, especially those with complex user journeys.
- Demonstrable knowledge, experience in and passion for web/application user-centred design practices
- Post-graduate degree or professional certification in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)/Usability/Cognitive Psychology/Market Research or related field
- Experience working with government and the public sector
- Experience or knowledge of the Government Digital Service and government design principles
- Experience managing/mentoring junior User Researchers
- Experience of the Government Digital Service design system
- Experience of delivering Discovery, Alpha, Beta, Live
- Retail, FS, government experience
- Experience in design sprints and rapid prototyping
- We like people who are:
- Enthusiastic about what they do, and a delight to work with
- Motivated and full of ideas
- Data and technology fanatics, who can show an interest in and understanding of recent trends and the benefits they could bring
- Passionate about working within data, digital and technology and with the drive and determination to continually improve
- Able to build successful relationships to establish credibility
- Our culture is built on:
- Being one team; we work for and with each other with respect and positive intent; when the going is tough, we support not blame each other
- We aim high and are ambitious; we bring the energy and positivity
- We are curious and embrace new ideas and different perspectives, generous with our time and with each other
- We are not afraid to fail, we learn from our failures, turning them into our future successes
- We deliver quality in everything we do; we are open and honest with each other and our clients
- Our benefits include:
- Holiday entitlement, 28 days with the option to buy/sell up to 5 days
- Day off (on or in the week of) your birthday
- Pension eligibility, up to 5% matched contributions
- Healthcare eligibility, private healthcare with Vitality, option to buy discounted family cover
- Cycle to work scheme
- Gym discounts
- Regular social events/activities
- Life Insurance
At ENGINE we believe in a culture of inclusivity, we celebrate difference and believe that diversity makes our business more relevant, our work more meaningful and our people more empowered. We’re committed to equality of opportunity for all and we're open to applications from all ethnicities, orientations, beliefs, gender identities + those with neurodiverse traits and disabilities.
If this sounds like you, please get in touch to discuss in more detail.