Engine Transformation (ET) creates, accelerates, designs, and builds the future for our clients. We combine the creativity of an agency with the robustness of a consultancy and technical agility of a start-up. Built on Research. Driven by Design. Fuelled by Data. Powered by Technology.
We Transform organisations through a world class research, design, data and technology culture, delivering better digital and multichannel experiences. We combine depth of expertise with a breadth of experience, working across both public and private sector to delivery tangible outcomes in partnership with our clients, built on a philosophy of transparency, collaboration and agility.
Our services include strategy & innovation, market & customer research, change & delivery, service design, data driven transformation and solutions, technology strategy and data and software engineering.
We are proud to work for clients as diverse as Sky, Avon, Santander, Holland & Barrett, Lexus, Ministry of Justice, Department for International Trade, Defra, and Home Office. We have offices in London, Manchester, Sydney & Melbourne.
We are part of Engine Group’s UK operations and form one of three business pillars, alongside our colleagues in Creative (advertising and marketing) and Communications (PR). In total, Engine UK has over 800 staff in our London and Manchester offices.
Find out more at: https://transformation.enginegroup.com/
The Role: Senior Ruby Developer
- As a Senior Ruby Developer you will be:
- An expert in software development
- Able to demonstrate skills in a variety of technical areas using this expertise to help your team work effectively
- Identifying, testing and championing the adoption of emerging technologies
- Working with Principal Developers, the Director of Software Development and others to help evolve Engine Transformation’s engineering strategy
You will work with your team to adopt best-practice engineering principles based upon both our and the client’s agreed standards. You will also help to build our wider software and data engineering capability, inputting into strategy and standards and helping junior developers reach their potential.
- As an engineer we are looking for expertise in the following:
- Relevant frameworks e.g. Rails, Sinatra
- Building RESTful APIs
- Version Control within a team environment e.g. Git
- Docker and either AWS or Azure
- SQL and NoSQL solutions and when to use them
- Writing clean code and clear tests. Experience with code quality software e.g. RuboCop, RubyCritic, SimpleCov, SonarCloud, SonarQube
- Various aspects of testing e.g. integration, functional, unit testing, Pact testing
- DevOps principles for continuous integration and delivery. Experience with pipelines for CI/CD e.g. Jenkins
- Sharing knowledge, sometimes through pair programming
- An analytical approach to problem solving
- Beneficial experience:
- Building and deploying Microservices
- Test-driven Development (TDD)
- Feature flags and feature management practices e.g. Flipper, LaunchDarkly
- Deployments to live production environments
- Production troubleshooting and log monitoring e.g. Azure Application Insights
- As a leader we are looking for experience in the following areas:
- Building trust with stakeholders and contributing to high-performing teams
- Awareness of business, engineering, architecture and infrastructure needs
- Designing maintainable, scalable and secure services
- Enabling delivery without incurring undue technical debt
- Mentoring junior software engineers
- We like people who are:
- Enthusiastic about what they do, and a delight to work with
- Motivated and full of ideas
- Data and technology fanatics, who can show an interest in and understanding of recent trends and the benefits they could bring
- Passionate about working within data, digital and technology and with the drive and determination to continually improve
- Able to build successful relationships to establish credibility
- Our culture is built on:
- Being one team; we work for and with each other with respect and positive intent; when the going is tough, we support not blame each other
- We aim high and are ambitious; we bring the energy and positivity
- We are curious and embrace new ideas and different perspectives, generous with our time and with each other
- We are not afraid to fail, we learn from our failures, turning them into our future successes
- We deliver quality in everything we do; we are open and honest with each other and our clients
- Our benefits include:
- Holiday entitlement, 28 days with the option to buy/sell up to 5 days
- Day off (on or in the week of) your birthday
- Pension eligibility, up to 5% matched contributions
- Healthcare eligibility, private healthcare with Vitality, option to buy discounted family cover
- Cycle to work scheme
- Gym discounts
- Free breakfast
- Regular social events/activities
- Childcare vouchers
- Life Insurance
At ENGINE we believe in a culture of inclusivity, we celebrate difference and believe that diversity makes our business more relevant, our work more meaningful and our people more empowered. We’re committed to equality of opportunity for all and we're open to applications from all ethnicities, orientations, beliefs, gender identities + those with neurodiverse traits and disabilities.
If this sounds like you please get in touch to discuss in more detail.