Senior Account Director
Who are Engine?
We are Engine. A new breed of creative communications company. We operate via a unique collaborative model that curates specialist teams around clients’ needs, providing them with the answers they need now. And the questions they should ask of the future.
We work with some of the largest and most admired brands in the world, including Sky, Disney, Unilever, Royal Navy, Warburtons, and Coca-Cola.
We’re proud of the accolades we have received in recognition of our work and in the last two years have won almost 100 top-tier industry awards.
What are your key responsibilities when it comes to relationships?
- Focus on building relationships with all client levels beyond project needs.
- Add value & contribute to discussions with the client about the work and strategy.
- Able to manage up & down by leading the project team, delegating tasks clearly to junior team members, and asking for senior support where needed.
- Be inclusive and supportive to AC/ AE / AM / to guide and grow their expertise.
Understanding our Clients:
- Build and maintain excellent client relationships, acting as the ambassador for ENGINE. Confident to intervene and challenge the client when needed, for example pushing back on a brief, asking for more budget or more time.
- Build trust through showing a proactive commitment to supporting the client and understanding their business challenges and personal pressures.
- Strive to manage feedback in a way that both protects the quality of the work, but ensures the client feels understood.
- Be able to challenge both the client and internal teams to create the best possible work, whilst keeping team equilibrium. And negotiate through impasses to find solutions.
- Be able to seamlessly adapt behaviour and approach depending on who you are communicating with.
- Build and use network contacts/relationships with key stakeholders effectively.
- Monitor client satisfaction, and input & plan with senior team for how to improve it.
- Proactively immerse yourself in the client's business to fully understand business challenges. Seen as the go-to internally for client knowledge.
Understanding our Client’s business:
- Proactively immerse yourself in the client's business to fully understand business challenges. Seen as the go to internally for all client knowledge.
- Demonstrate to the client regularly that you fully understand the business, from product knowledge, to market insight, to competitor threats.
What are your key responsibilities when it comes to growth, profit and uncovering opportunities?
- Seek out potential opportunities for the business to grow our creative remit, and ensure the financial success of each account.
- Proactively work to gain a deeper understanding of client challenges, and be able to identify potential opportunity areas ENGINE can support. Support BD with input on long term growth plans.
- Anticipate opportunities and to react to the constantly changing landscape of our client’s businesses and industry news agenda.
- Able to identify opportunities for wider ENGINE pillars, and able to connect with the right people at the right times to deliver the opportunity.
- Support BD to identify which periods of time offer the greatest likelihood of success to pitch for more work / opportunities (i.e. annual planning cycle / after a successful campaign delivery)
- Identify opportunity for the agency at the beginning of the project and align the team around that objective.
- Have excellent financial acumen which includes compiling and selling-in fee and cost proposals. On an ongoing basis ensure profitability of your projects and campaigns.
- Responsible for reviewing & monitoring project costs, and proactively look for how to work more efficiently. Be aware of running over/under vs. fee and understand the reasons why.
- Confidently communicate finance updates to clients and internally.
- Be able to review estimates, checking it aligns with client requirements. Where required be able to negotiate for SOW approval.
- Be able to map out a large scale retainer project. Understand a retainer to know what is and isn't in scope.
- Flag potential revenue streams to the ENGINE finance team to aid forecasting.
- Highlight to BD/Management any issues arising from recs
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the overall account profitability and servicing levels.
What are your key responsibilities when it comes to being creatively brave?
- Strive to push the creative output of the agency, pushing the internal team as much as possible and having the confidence to present and sell great work to the client.
- Understand how best to share work with client, and how to structure an argument to sell in the work.
- Provide an environment that encourages creative thinking and the development of ideas and solutions. Make sure every creative briefing is as inspiring as possible. Create and cultivate a culture of openness to others’ ideas and be flexible in accepting other points of view.
- Ensures quality control on all work.
- Be able to spot pitfalls in creative ideas before it is progressed too far, and push for brave & exceptional work, not just good work. Understand how to bring the team with you to find solutions and build upon ideas to improve them.
- Have creativity and innovation at the heart of everything you do. Be able to contribute thought starters and reference other inspiring examples of work to encourage approaching the work in new ways.
- Proactively put your hand up and get involved in wider-agency activities to help drive innovation and creativity.
What are your key responsibilities when it comes to Strategy?
- Demonstrate a high level of understanding of the wider context of the client's business and show an aptitude for strategic conversations across a variety of different accounts.
- Offer your own strategic point of view in discussions with clients and internally; intelligently, thoughtfully, with passion and with clarity.
- Seen as a strategic partner to the strategy team and senior clients. Acting as a sounding board and collaborating to make the strategy better.
- Demonstrate strong analysis skills, turning information into actionable insights. Be able to contribute and deliver PCAs.
- Be able to write interesting and concise presentations for use internally and externally.
- Develop strategy into tangible deliverables.
What are your key responsibilities when it comes to knowledge & process?
- Be an expert in your specialism, with an understanding and passion for marketing communications as a whole, whether that be content development, entertainment marketing, events, CRM, traditional advertising, sponsorship, tech, social, digital experience or data.
- Demonstrate exceptional knowledge of your client's industry, and our own, and is trusted by clients and colleagues to provide insight and advice. Take ownership for your learning and build industry knowledge by reading blogs, articles, attend seminars or webinars, events.
- Have a deep understanding of production processes, and able to advise team and client on risks, opportunities and process throughout.
- Proactively look for ways to continually improve efficiency and client service standards.
At ENGINE we believe in a culture of inclusivity, we celebrate difference and believe that diversity makes our business more relevant, our work more meaningful and our people more empowered. We’re committed to equality of opportunity for all and we're open to applications from all ethnicities, orientations, beliefs, gender identities + those with neurodiverse traits.
ENGINE has a generous, wide ranging, flexible benefits package which allows employees to opt in and out of many benefits to suit their personal needs. This includes a matched contributory pension, Private Medical Insurance, season ticket loans, cycle to work scheme, dental, medical help, gym discounts, buy & sell holidays and much more! We also offer a whole range of softer discretionary benefits such as a great working environment, free breakfast at the in-house cafe, and a day off for your Birthday.