All the latest news, views and random musings from across Engine. Got an opinion? Then leave us a comment or say hello on Twitter using @EngineLondon
THE WINNER BAKES IT ALL: THE GREAT ENGINE BAKE OFF RETURNS
28TH MARCH 2017
After 2016’s BBC/Channel 4 Bake Off scandal left Engine’s many baking enthusiasts weeping into their Genoese sponge mixtures, our CSR team felt it was their moral responsibility to ensure that staff got their fix of culinary puns by organising a second epic cross-Engine Bake Off in aid of Comic Relief.
Last week, we once again asked each business within Engine to put forward a team of three amateur bakers to compete in three categories, inspired by the BBC’s (and soon to be Channel 4’s…) infamous show.
Judged by Engine’s Group MD Simon Peck and Mischief’s (completely un-biased) Frankie Cory, with Fuel’s Charles Ping and Engine Partner Annie Gallimore dishing out the puns as hosts, our Bake Off raised over £500 for charity thanks to a standard of baking that rivalled even the TV show’s star bakers
Our first round was the signature bake, where we asked staff to show off their creative flair by baking their favorite cake—no restrictions, anything went! Highlights included banana bread, carrot cake cupcakes and a (very popular) Tiramisu, but the winner’s apron went to Fuel for a chocolate masterpiece incorporating the logo of Engine’s Rapport product.
Next, in the technical round we asked for a savoury filled pastry. Some incredibly fancy sausage plaits were accompanied by samosas, filo parcels and even savoury muffins (technically a violation of the entry criteria, but delicious none the less.) This round was won by Mischief, presumably for the MasterChef-worthy agave and mustard dip that they served with their sausage rolls.
Finally, in our Showstopper round we asked for a ‘visual representation of your work’ and being a creative business, our entrants truly went to town:
- Engine Media wowed us all with a spinning cake featuring the super smooth ‘Switch Guarantee Guy’ atop a record player, in celebration of the work Engine does for the Current Account Switch Service.
- Trailer Park took us back to their Hollywood roots, with a giant cactus cake.
- Transform showed off their work for Public Health England by making a healthy ‘meal’ and a burger and chips entirely from cake — the steak made out of chocolate brownie was a particular favourite of our judges!
- Mischief and Slice—our overall runners up— went all out with a seriously impressive ‘Shed of the Year’ inspired cake, with flavours inspired by an English Garden.
- Synergy celebrated 15 years of 6 nations rugby sponsorship with a rugby themed cake, complete with miniature Owen Farell and 6 nations trophy.
- WCRS and Deep Focus showcased their work for London Pride with a colourful smartie-filled cake.
- ORC took us on a ‘customer engagement journey’ with their TFL London Bus cake.
- Fuel wowed the judges with a light-up Rapport cake.
- And finally, our very deserving, winners Partners Andrews Aldridge celebrated an exciting new client win with a magnificent three-tiered rainbow sponge, filled with skittles and decorated with mini cupcakes.
At the end of the judging, all contributions were sold off to staff to raise money for Comic Relief and the winners were rewarded with champagne and novelty aprons.
Intrigued? Check out some of this year’s best bakes on our facebook page.